In lieu of the recent robbery of Kim Kardashian in Paris I felt compelled to offer som tips for women traveling alone, especially abroad!
1) Always pay attention to your surroundings! A predator likes to attack people who are preoccupied!
2) Don't make it obvious you are alone, in conversation mention you are waiting for some one or meeting a friend. When doing tours spark a conversation and attach yourself to a group or another person traveling alone.
3) Don't wear expensive jewelry or carry excess amounts of cash.
4) Do research on where you are going, get as much information as possible to avoid being lost. This will also help give the perception that you are comfortable in your surroundings!
5) If someone is watching you watch them back or ask someone a general question and point in their direction. They will most likely feel put on the spot and leave because they see you are aware of their lurking. If you feel threatened tell someone, cause a scene or start yelling or talking loudly.
6) Don't go out late at night. If you must; utilze taxi or pre- arranged car service. Tell a friend or family member where you are.
8) Always keep you valuables close. Don't carry all your money, credit cards & passports in same place. Use handbags that can go over your head and/or under your top layer of clothes. Many hotels offer lockers. Utilize them to keep your things safe!
9) Don't give out too much information. Keep things like name of hotel and room number private.
10) Stay in well lit, open, high traffic areas and seek help from police, merchants or unifomed people.
These are just a few tips to help you stay safe at home and abroad! Happy Tavels!